X window configuration on iMac 2002 (iLamp)--which monitor type?

James Keeline yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:35:12 -0700 (PDT)

I have installed YDL 2.3 on my new iMac G4/800 with 15-inch flat-panel TFT display and SuperDrive.
 I have looked but cannot find out which monitor type to use in the X window configuration.
Xconfigurator detects the video card but I don't see anything in the "simple" monitor list that
looks right.

When I first booted up under YDL, I had problems because of the bad X window configuration.  The
screen flashed for quite a while as the system tried and failed to start X.  Once I got a login
screen, I went in as root and changed the default runlevel in /etc/inittab to 3 instead of 5.
Now, I can at least use YDL in command line mode.

This isn't a huge problem since I have run Red Hat on Intel boxes for several years.  I teach free
classes on Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP (http://www.ITeachPHP.com) in San Diego.  Still, I would
like to get X running.  One part of the problem is that people don't refer to this machine
consistently.

James D. Keeline
James@Keeline.com
http://www.ITeachPHP.com