CDROM drive is dead. Can you install YDL 2.3 from a HD?

Robin Colgrove yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:38:29 -0400

I have an old 6500 that I use only as a router/firewall for the
cable-modem->6500->airport home network.
I went to install YDL 2.3 only to find that the CD would not mount (nor
would zip disks). I have not used this drive for a long time.

There is a 3G internal HD and a 9G ext. SCSI (4 partitions) and plenty
of space to install from the HD. I copied the contents of the CD (over
the network) over onto one of the partitions of the SCSI drive, but the
manual says that installing from the HD over over a network is not
supported at this time.

Before I go messing around, is there a safe way to do this?

thanks

robin