Next hurdle: YDL ~ RH ~ YDL??

Beartooth yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:36:16 -0400 (EDT)

	I hope I haven't said anything that's obscene in standard
computerese! <grin> What I want that subject to fit onto one line
for me is this question:

	Given that YDl is similar by design to RedHat, is RedHat
also similar to YDL?

	Let me explain.

	Last night, after three nights' exercise in electronic
wisdom tooth extraction, I finally got hold of the one last item of
information I needed, and made the YDL partition on the laptop
connect -- starting from an existing connection from the OSX
(10.1.5) partition to the Airport Base Station, which in turn
received the inner end of the cable from my DSL modem.

	(It turns out the airport config how-to at YDL is an
inconspicuous re-write of the appendix in the manual -- rewritten
just enough to give me the one item at last. That whole appendix
ought to be rewritten thoroughly -- pretty please, Terrasoft! Start
with what info to get out of OSX and where the blazes to find it --
if it's to be useful to linux fans as well as Apple fanciers.)

	The RedHat desktop machine I'm on now connects to the Net
over a cable from the DSL modem. I want the modem cable plugged
into the hub, as it has been at night lately, and then another
cable plugged from the hub to the desktop.

	[Aside: I see no point connecting the desktop wirelessly,
and exposing it needlessly to any wardriving parasite or cracker
who may pass near; and I'm not remotely technoid enough to run a
public wireless node. No doubt that's why the Apple engineers put
the second female DSL plug on the hub.]

	I know both machines *can* connect at once, without me
moving the DSL cable back and forth. My apple-fancier friend, who
had created the OSX-to-base-station connection, managed that much
manually; but we got interrupted while he was still figuring out
how to embed the changes into the automation.

	Automating the RH connection is where the mumbo hits the
jumbo for me.

	Can I simply run the same carefully recorded sequence of
commands on this machine that worked on the YellowDog partition --
with any hope it works, or at least doesn't bollix up everything?

	Or does the resemblance of YDL to RH not work backward that
far? If not, I'm going to have to get help -- one false step, and
I'm toast for sure ...
--
RR 'Beartooth' Neuswanger <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
double retiree, linux greenhorn: RH 7.2, YDL 2.2, OSX 10.1.5