YDL/Mandrake release timing

Jonathan C. Sitte yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:33:26 -0400

Re: YDL/Mandrake release timing

     I don't think there is anything to worry about when it comes to released
dates of Mandrake vs. YDL. I am not even worried about it because the ppc
version of Mandrake just does not have the power behind it that YDL has. YDL is
and will continue to be the most ppc hardware compliant distrobution out there.
On top of that they provide full support for your needs especially if you are a
CEO or working for one and need help with something ASAP. You will not get that
from Mandrake since the reasons are right in front of you. Mandrake is a x86
distrobution and I think they like it tha way too.

     I think they gave up on competing with YDL a while ago. I do not know the
history of them starting ppc version etc but I do know they have no intentions
of competition. I used to be a Mandrake head until I got sick of them treading
so far away from being a beefed up version of redhat to a thing of a totally
different color.

     To finish this up I just would like to say I do not think it was the
Mandrake developer that wanted to release what they had about the same time that
YDL made their isos public. I think most developers understand that there are
the guys in suits that make you release things even if they are not ready.
Mandrake 9.1 ppc version is a good example of that. There is just not enough
people working on it to have it ready by now. I really do think this is the last
release they will be making.

     Please I do repect them too. It amazing that they keep trying to make it
even though are definantly doomed IMHO. At least give them that much credit. I
wonder who is gonna swoop them up when the crap hits the fan. Hmmmm.

jcsitte