A really stupid question.

Morgan Doocy yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:02:31 -0700

You must run all commands to shut down as root:

user@localhost$ su -
Password:
root@localhost$ shutdown -h now

or:

user@localhost$ sudo shutdown -h now
Password:

The latter only works if you've set 'user' up to be able to run sudo on=20=

the machine, by using 'visudo'. Use 'man visudo' to figure out how to=20
use that.

Incidentally, there are a few other ways to shut down as well:

root@localhost$ halt
root@localhost$ reboot
root@localhost$ poweroff

Cheers,