Grrrr. How do I get this installed?

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 0:37:47 -0400

Computer I'm trying to install on:

iMac 350  blueberry slotload  happily running 9.1 until I decided to give
YDL a whirl.

What goes wrong:

1) Despite the fact that I select the graphical installer, at the very end I
get a message about X server failing and am kicked into the text
installer.  [Hoo boy, talk about making a baaaad impression on
somebody who just shelled out for the disks and (useless) manual. If I
had wanted the frikken text installer, I would've selected the frikken text
installer!]

2) Auto partion fails because I do not specify a root partition.  [Hello?
It's called AUTOpartition.  Like, isn't it supposed to take care of all that
crap AUTOmatically?]  If it doesn't automatically set up a root/boot/swap
arrangement, WTF is it for?

3) The companion to installing tells you what to do in the GUI version of
Disk Druid, but gives no clue what to do when you've been put eyes
front, trousers down by the text installer.  It talks about "apple
bootstrap" and I do not see those words anywhere on my screen.

[BTW, I do tech writing as a large component of my job.  The words "Piss
Poor" do not begin to describe the book and install guide.]

4) In DD I get
/dev/hda
  dev/hda1  (0mb in size, mount point N/A.  Which I cannot edit because
it's the apple partition map)
  dev/hda2  (6532mb hfs format, mount point N/A)
  free space (0 mb in size.  I've tried to change the size of this, but none
of my guesses work.  I've tried calling the mount point here / but it's not
buying that, either.)

5) WTF is a mount point?

6) Because I don't have a / parition to install on, the installer does not go
any further.

Would somebody, please, in excruciating detail, explain to me what I
need to do to tell the OS where to go and live?  I'm not even trying to
make it share the disk with Os X.  I was going to be nice to YDL and give
it it's very own home, and the frikkin dog just bit me.

-Katherine-