Grrrr. How do I get this installed?

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:00:44 -0400

> 1) Despite the fact that I select the graphical installer, at the very
> end I
> get a message about X server failing and am kicked into the text
> installer.  [Hoo boy, talk about making a baaaad impression on
> somebody who just shelled out for the disks and (useless) manual. If I
> had wanted the frikken text installer, I would've selected the frikken
> text
> installer!]

Seems to me the installer has done you a favor: If the config of X
server has failed (it happens), by automatically kicking you into text
install mode, at least you have something to work with. Would you
prefer to be stuck with a GUI that's video gibberish and no way to work
with the prob from the command line?

> 3) The companion to installing tells you what to do in the GUI version
> of
> Disk Druid, but gives no clue what to do when you've been put eyes
> front, trousers down by the text installer.  It talks about "apple
> bootstrap" and I do not see those words anywhere on my screen.

Absolutely right here: The install "guide" is very poor help indeed for
those who are forced (as I was) into install-safe (text) mode because
video config's were not successfully probed by the installer.

> [BTW, I do tech writing as a large component of my job.  The words
> "Piss
> Poor" do not begin to describe the book and install guide.]

Couldn't agree more.

--HU