Grrr: etc. (formatting)

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:16:40 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/ydl3.0_guide-single.pdf
html version from google
http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:VeaPlypEyGkJ:www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/ydl3.0_guide-double.pdf+%22A+Companion+to+installing+Yellow+Dog+Linux+3.0%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

reference the above file

I don't see how this is so difficult.  I went to the website above
and read "A companion to installing YDL 3.0"   Now, I only have a
minor in English, my "real" degrees lie in Chemistry.  But clearly on
page 2 it says, "single drive with YDL no Mac OS present."  See ,"
Choosing the correct bootloader on the next page."  One flips the
page and voila, it tells you to pick between old world and new world,
go to next page - page 4 if you're keeping track :)  And it states in
clear and concise english:
1. Install YDL install disk #1
2. Restart your "pooter."
3. Hold down the "C" key while it reboots
4. At the boot prompt hit return for GUI install or type install-text

Good luck installing!  You have the whole weekend!

--- Grant <gfl1@optonline.net> wrote:
> This is getting confusing for all.  let's start from scratch.
>
> You have 2 choices:
>
> 1. have YDL only on the mac
> 2. have YDL plus the macOS of your choice
>
> If you want both YDL and MacOS, you need to create two partitons,
> with
> drive setup or drive utility (either will work).  One must be macOS
>
> extended (for OS9 or 10).  The other must be formatted as "free
> space"
> - an option in apple's partiton/format utility.
>
> If you want only YDL, then you format the whole thing as "free
> space" -
> its now a useless mac, but fine for YDL.
>
> Next you need to run the installer from YDL disk #1.  Boot from the
> CD
> by holding the "C" key.  The installer will then ask you about
> auto-partitioning ----- BUT! within the "free space" you created.
> So
> far, I'm reading that you didnt do that.
>
> Yep, its pretty flaky for a consumer release.  But it will work on
> an
> iMAC (dont try this on a 12" powerbook though :-( )
>
> Grant

=====
--Norberto Quintanar

"You belong to something bigger. From birth. And your life is spent rediscovering the underlying principles, through various players -- coaches, mentors, teachers, spouses, kids. It's in your genes. Your responsibility. Destiny. Is all on you.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Norberto Quintanar