Grrr: etc. (formatting)

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 11:11:21 -0400

I want YDL only on the iMac

> If you want only YDL, then you format the whole thing as "free space"

Yes, but HOW?!!!!

I have just taken a guess and have told the OS X disk utility to format the
file as Unix file system.

The manual said to use HFS, and somebody else on list said to choose
"undefined", but that's not an option.  I have these choices:

Mac OS standard (HFS)
Mac OS Extended (HFS +)
MS Dos
Unix file system

-
> its now a useless mac, but fine for YDL.

Well, it was old enough to be molasses slow under OS X, and I have no
classic disks.  (Besides, classic OS is crappy.)

> Next you need to run the installer from YDL disk #1.  Boot from the
CD
> by holding the "C" key.  The installer will then ask you about
> auto-partitioning ----- BUT! within the "free space" you created.  So
> far, I'm reading that you didnt do that.

Because nobody has explained to me clearly HOW to do that.  The
manual sure doesn't.  The help menus in the text installer sure don't.
They say to join this list.