Can't start Apache

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:26:28 -0700

> After installing YDL 3.0, the server option, installing
> Everything, Apache
> won't start.  I've gone to the Services control panel and
> enabled it, I've
> rebooted and seen "starting httpd  [ OK ]" in the startup process.
>
> But I cannot connect to "http://localhost".  I have installed
> webmin, and
> webmin tells me "Error.  Failed to start Apache" when I try
> to start apache
> via webmin.
>
> Ideas?

Is httpd running?

ps -ef | grep httpd

should show you.

If it is running,

nmap localhost

will tell you which ports are running on localhost. If there's nothing on
port 80, there's another problem. If you see any "filtered" ports, then your
firewall is the culprit.
If you installed Everything, it might be your firewall software. Shut that
down if you installed it. Once it's down,

iptables --list [run this as root].

Should just say policy ACCEPT for input, forward and output.

If it's not running, you should, check your config file
[/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf]. You should have

Listen 80

somewhere in that file.