YDL vs. Debian, etc.

Ron Smith yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:32:43 -0700

Back in the YDL 2.1 days I was comparing it to SuSE 7.x PPC. I don't
know if it still holds true, but in my experience then, SuSE had quite
a few more applications that "just worked" straight out of the box upon
a default installation. I don't  know the current state of SuSE in that
regard, but the availability of applications for YDL has certainly
improved. If you are using an old world machine, they both use BootX
and that works just fine. If you are using a new world machine, I think
YDL with yaboot is much nicer and easier to manage than SuSE was at
that time. Also at that time SuSE was very closely tied to KDE and I
prefer gnome over KDE.

My biggest complaint with SuSE (PPC or x86) is that while it comes with
tons of applications (like 4 or 5 CDs worth), many of them don't work.
A lot of them won't even compile from the included source.

Good luck,

-Ron