Minimal YDL install on 2-GB hard drive

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:01:59 -0500

Friends:

I recently obtained a 1998 "PowerBook G3 Series" (otherwise known as
"Wallstreet"; 233 MHz G3 processor, 256 MB of RAM, 12.1 inch 800 x 600
pixel screen). It has a 2-GB hard drive. How can I install a minimal,
but functional version of Linux on it? What strategy should I use to
achieve a 1-GB installation?

The Wallstreet seems to be an "Old World" machine. I created a minimal
300 MB HFS partition for the Mac OS 9.1 installation, which went
smoothly. I cut the swap space back to 256 MB (is that enough?) That
left me 1520 MB of unallocated space for YDL. The YDL FAQ
<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/faq/drive_space.shtml> states
that the following are required:

Personal Desktop: 1,901MB
Workstation: 2,258MB
Server: 855MB

By being very, very judicious in selecting packages during
installation, I was able to pare the size to about 1550 MB -- so close!
I really need to get the size down to around 1 GB, to leave enough room
for actual files. :-)

I only want a few systems on this computer -- basically, I want a
"writer's box" to run OpenOffice (or any WYSIWYG word processor that
can read and write RTF files). I am a fan of GUIs, but I could learn to
run some of the basics from a commandline. Therefore, I need:

[] OpenOffice.org (or something else? Abiword? K-something?)
[] a simple bibliographic program similar to Endnote (there might be
one bundled with OO.o)
[] SSH (incoming and outgoing) to transfer files and run a few
commandline utilities
[] a GUI file manager
[] power-management utilities for the PowerBook
[] anything else?

I would appreciate the ability to login to a streamlined version of KDE
or Gnome, but if you can recommend alternatives, that would be great. I
probably *don't* need Web servers, high security, development tools,
music players, games, multiple themes and so on.

What do you recommend? Thanks!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
\ Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald   \ <mailto:clint.macdonald@ttuhsc.edu>
  \ Cell Biology & Biochemistry\ 806/743-2703