Minimal YDL install on 2-GB hard drive

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:35:15 -0500

Mr. Quintanar:

Thank you for your comments:

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 08:10  AM, Norberto Quintanar wrote:
> --- Clinton MacDonald <clint.macdonald@ttuhsc.edu> wrote:
>> I recently obtained a 1998 "PowerBook G3 Series" (otherwise known as
>> "Wallstreet"; 233 MHz G3 processor, 256 MB of RAM, 12.1 inch 800 x
>> 600 pixel screen). It has a 2-GB hard drive. How can I install a
>> minimal, but functional version of Linux on it? What strategy should
>> I use to achieve a 1-GB installation?
>
> Unless you really need Mac OS, you can install YDL 3.0 without it.

Unfortunately, I don't think one can install any version of Linux on an
"Old World" Mac (like the Wallstreet) without a boot partition
containing the Macintosh OS.

> Or get a biger hard drive.

Well, that's the solution I finally arrived at myself, even though I
previously thought that 2 GB was enormous. :-) So, yesterday I ordered
a new 25-GB, 5400 rpm hard drive to install in the Wallstreet. Sweet!

(Somehow, that really goes against my grain, though. I still remember
the days when my 20 MB hard drive seemed *huge*, and I could still put
the entire Macintosh operating system, an application, and a few word
processing files on a single 1.4-MB floppy. Sigh.)

Nevertheless, last night I managed to get YDL to install on the 1.5 GB
partition. It seems to run reasonably well, with only one minor
problem... which will be the subject of my next e-mail message.

Thanks, again!

Best wishes,
Clint

--