Installation on older iMac

Ron McCy yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:26:18 -0500

Target  =  5 year old iMac with OS8.5, 96Mb & 20Gig hard drive.
YD 3.0

The problem....

After installation, YD 3 yaboot doesn't see the hfs partition for 8.5 nor
start Linux.  The system hangs, though it will boot from CD if I ask it to.

What I did....

I followed the instruction addendum - partitioned the h.d. into 2, 15gig for
YD and 5 for Mac8.5 leaving the first partion free.  OS 8.5 was reloaded
from the Apple CDROM and the sytem rebooted with the YD CD.  Linux seems to
load pretty easilly.....the installer finds free space for the swap and root
(/) partitions, leaving 4 ( I think ) odd looking leading partitions named
hda1...hda4 and Mac8.5 shows up at hda7.

The installer uses the text interface ( no problem ), asks for preferences
and packages, and after 40 minutes or so congratulates me on a proper
installation.  The reboot is another story!!!!  Yellow Dog, if installed by
itself runs perfectly on this computer and only balks when asked to share
the hard drive with Mac Os 8.5.   What gives??????????