Setting up a G4...

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:01:58 -0600

I've been offered a Power Mac G4 and 17 inch monitor at a price that I can't
refuse.  I was thinking of replacing the 9 gig hard drive for a much larger
one, and setting it up as both a 9.2/0Sx, as well as aYDL machine.

OK...let me outline the steps I would take to set up these drives.  Please
offer any suggestions/corrections.  Let's assume I get an 80 gig hard drive.

1.  I'd boot with a OS 9 disk.  I'd format, say 50 gigs of the hard drive
(which format?), and I would leave 30 gigs of it "unallocated."

2.  I'd install OS 9 onto the 50 gig partition.

3.  I'd upgrade to 9.2.2 on the 50 gig partition.

4.  I'd install YDL on the 30 gig unallocated portion.

5.  I'd install OS X on the 50 gig side.

6.  I'd install my apps on their respective partitions.

I am only familar with Boot X.  Should I use Boot X or yaboot?

Is there some kind of partitioning format that will allow both the YDL and the
9.2/OS X to see the same files?

Thanks.

RJ Goos

YDL.net - The online community for Yellow Dog Linux users