YDL 2.3 iMac Rev A - can't boot - HELP!!

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:34:49 +0100

When you press ctrl+alt+F2 you get the "Dayton Install>" prompt if you are
using the YDL 2.3 Installer. If you are using YDL 3.0 you get the "bash#"
prompt. So you should do the following -

Dayton Install> pdisk /dev/hda

(you don't tyle the "Dayton Install>" - that's the command prompt!). Then
type "p" to get the partition table.

Any specific reason for YDL 2.3? If not, go for YDL 3.0.

While installing YDL 3.0 as the only OS on my iMac, I noticed that Open
Firmware somehow does not like partitions created by pdisk or disk druid and
was not loading yaboot. So I had to install OS 9.

How to create partitions using Mac OS CD? Once you are booted using the Mac
OS install CD (I tried with OS 9), double click the utilities folder and
then click the "Drive Setup" utility. It will help you partition your disk.

The YDL 3.0 installer guide tells that if you want a dual boot system (OS X
and YDL), use the "Driver Setup" tool to create two partitions, install Mac
OS on the second partition. You will get this installation guide at
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/

Regards,
Dhiraj