installing Linux on disk image

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:20:50 -0500

Dave:

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 10:33  AM, Dave wrote:
> Instead of reformatting my hard drive to partition it, I would like to
> install YDL on a disk image on the existing hard drive.  Does anyone
> know how I can do this using OS X (10.2.6)? I'm not sure if I can
> create the disk image using the "UNIX file system" selection in Disk
> Copy, or how to procede after that. I would appreciate any assistance.

That is a really clever idea, but I don't think it will work (I am sure
someone will correct me if I am wrong). In order to mount hard drive
disk images, you must be booted into Mac OS X. But, in order to install
YDL, you must be booted into Linux.

Another approach might be to install YDL onto another spare hard drive,
then "clone" the install onto the disk image. (Of course, I am too much
of a newbie to know how that "cloning" step might be done.)

Not very helpful, I know. :-(

Best wishes,
Clint

--