YDL 2.3 iMac Rev A - can't boot - HELP!!

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:16:15 -0700

> Ok. Follow your instructions:
>
> 1. Boot from YDL CD. When asked about keyboard, pressed ctr-alt-F2.
>
> 2. Get "Dayton Install>" prompt.
>
> 3. Typed pdisk /dev/hda
>
> 4. Get message:
> sh: pdisk: command not found.
>
> Looking in a unix book (Complete Idiot's Guide) found "sh"
> stand for The Bourne Shell.
> I then typed "env" as I understood from the book it will give
> me the environment variables,
> but get the following:
>
> sh: env: command not found
>
> Any clue?

You're in another world when you boot from CD. The shell that's running then
is not the Bourne shell, but a "statically-linked" shell. That just means,
simplistically, that most of the commands are compiled into that program.

Try:

$ echo $PATH

to see what your PATH is.

>From the above, it looks like you can't find pdisk. You'll have to look for
it yourself in all the usual places (/sbin,/usr/sbin,/bin,/usr/bin). Then
you'll have to give the complete path a la:

/usr/sbin/pdisk /dev/hda