installing Linux on disk image

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 19:21:09 -0500

Bill:

On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 01:11  PM, Longman, Bill wrote:
>> Linux really, really, really wants a three-button mouse, and a single
>> button PowerBook just doesn't cut it.
>
> You know of the F-key trick, no?
>
> F10 = Middle
> F11 = Right

I know it, have been using it, and hate it. Being a right-handed
semi-touch typist, using the mouse (or trackpad) to position the
pointer, then having to take both hands off the keyboard to click F11
for a contextual menu, really irks me.

I tried the Yellow Dog How-To on emulating the second and third mouse
buttons:

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/general/mouseemu.shtml>

I wanted to change the unused command key (with the Apple and splat
symbols on it) to right click. It just plain-old did not work.
Apparently, YDL 3.0 changed the mouse emulation significantly. Even the
configuration file at /etc/sysconfig/mouse is changed, and no longer
resembles the one on the Web page.

Any ideas?

> <evangelism>
> From my experience with OS X on an iBook [limited], and YDL on a 3400c
> PB [fairly good], I wouldn't even hesitate to say, "Stay with OS X!".
> OS X is built around the Mach kernel, which is light years ahead of
> the monolithic kernel architecture of Linux. Also, OS X is built for
> the Mac hardware, albeit nowadays it's getting to be commodity
> hardware. I'd certainly try and find a better window manager than the
> sickening twm, but, hey, X11 is already there baby!
> </evangelism>

I agree. I like OS X a *LOT*. There are still some niggles that
irritate me (why does command-N no longer make a new folder in the
Finder?), put on the whole, it is an excellent operating system, and
exceedingly stable. What I like the most about OS X is the
application-to-application consistency. Command-Q *always* quits an
application, command-V *always* pastes the clipboard. Linux (and, to a
lesser extent, Windows) still hasn't learned this lesson.

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint.macdonald@ttuhsc.edu>