Installing new ver of OpenOffice

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:20:29 -0400

I have been using OpenOffice 1.0 a little under YDL 3.0. What a
disappointment it was to find that that version does not have
copy-and-paste. I have downloaded the new 1.1RC version [Anybody know
what the "RC" stands for?]--hoping that copy-and-paste has been fixed
in the new ver--but have not installed it as yet.

The OpenOffice site did not clarify how one would do an update from 1.0
to 1.1RC. So I'm just going to do a full install of 1.1RC. Question: Is
it necessary--is it better--to remove the previous ver of OO before
installing the new one? (I have not been using it long enough to have
any particular investment in existing configuration files.) And the
command to do so is   rpm -e [package name]? Is there any problem if I
just install the two ver's side by side? Note that what I will be using
to install from is a tar.gz file (OOo_1.1RC_Linux. .
.installer.tar.gz), not a .rpm file.

Thanks for any enlightenment.     --Harvey