(no subject)

glenn greenfield yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:52:42 -0700

After a fresh install of yellowdog 3.0 everything was working fine on my UMAX s900 233Mhz, 144M, Twin Turbo128.  After approximately 6 reboots X was borked.  Not only was it using only 8 bit color but it only covered the left half of the screen.  After several days of failed attempts to fix it I gave up and reinstalled.  Everything was fine until again after a few reboots X was hosed.  I have ran Xautoconfig and it does create a new working (sorta) XF86Config file that fits the screen properly but again only in 8bit color.  I have edited XF86Config until I know the file inside and out and yet I cannot get it to work correctly.  So far the only idea I have is to reinstall and make a copy of XF86Config immediately but I'm not so certain that it is actually the problem.  I am using a video adapter w/ dipswitches connected to a 15" pc style monitor.  Macos 9.1 still works just fine w/ said adapter/monitor combo.  XF86Config is using the fbdev driver as it identified my monitor as
  'generic'.  I have tried using imstt but no luck there either.  If someone has a working XF86Config for a Twin Turbo128 I'd really like to see it.  Where else might I look to get to the root of this problem?  Is it necessary to have kudzu run on boot?  Could it have had a hand in this?  Thanks for any suggestions.

http://www.linuxmail.org/