startx problems

glenn greenfield yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:25:14 -0700

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:52:16 -0500
> To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> From: Suman Chakrabarti <Suman.Chakrabarti@nasa.gov>
> Subject: Re: Installing YDL: First Drive is Now Inaccessible
>
> >Suman Chakrabarti said:
>
> However, I still can't turn on X11 when I log in with "startx". I'm
> searching for an answer, but I haven't gotten any replies to my posts.

Generally when invoking the 'startx' command and the xserver fails it will give you an error message.  Search the error message you get.  Often times it will tell you exactly which line of /etc/X11/XF86Config file it is tripping over. Have a look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log and see what it tells you also.  I personally have had little luck with Xautoconfig.

Post your errors to the list please.
http://www.linuxmail.org/