Firewire Hard Drives

Tobey Wheelock yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:01:28 -0400

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003, Bradley Martin wrote:
> Does anybody any experience putting a firewire drive
> on a yellowdog box? (specifically: rev. 1 b+w g3
> tower)
>
> How did it go? Anything to keep in mind if I plan o
> doing it?

Not sure if you mean internal or external, but in case you're
asking about external, here are the steps that worked for me
on a 7300 w/ fw PCI card.

The first thing you have to do is make sure your kernel supports
firewire. IIRC, ydl 3.0 comes w/ firewire compiled as a module.
Make sure the module is loaded.

Then find rescan-scsi-bus.sh (google it) and run it with your
drive attached and powered on.

Then mount the drive (for me, "mount /dev/sdd2 /mnt/fw").

Depending on how your drive is partitioned and formatted, you
may need to partition and format it for linux before mounting
the first time.

Hope this helps.

Tobey Wheelock