yellowdog-newbie digest, Vol 1 #634 - Message 1

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
25 Aug 2003 14:59:15 -0400

--=-B88A8PuoXi8tnRUHnMaB

Hi There Bradley:
YDL is, I believe the real OS for the Mac, for those who want complete
control of every aspect of their computer system.  It also does that in
a manner which is standard throughout Linux and so when and if you
really can do serious coding in almost any language; while you are
working on your creation, you'll be able to recognize and better
comprehend ideas expressed in source, written for PCs.  This is a really
powerful, learn by doing kind of experience, which was just not possible
on this scale earlier (before Champion Server, RIP).  It is quite
marvelous how the Open Source concept works, and helps, if one really
wants to get "up there" and be a better programmer.

The complexities, understanding what Open Source code is (viewing the
website of sourceforge.net can be just a hint of what is going on; but
before that read The Register and /. (i.e. Slashdot, for those who need
to read English still), downloading it, and rebuilding and recompiling
it so that if a PPC version of that program didn't exist before; it will
now because you created it on your system can provide a sense of
accomplishment before even running the program.

It can be a bit overwhelming as one realizes just what is entailed in
doing this kind of work.  In my opinion, versiontracker.com and similar
sites are for regular folk.  Linux is way, way beyond all that; but like
any truly complex system (see Chaos Theory and Fractals; did you know
there are even Fractal Dimensions?) Beauty, Amazement and just plain Fun
can be had for each at their own level while sharing nearly
instantaneously across disparate computers and networks.  Now that's
Power!
That is something, that Apple hardware with YDL can achieve.  The Mac OS
will be something like the Sun OS eventually, maybe already is.
Remember that anything written for the Mac OS will remain proprietary,
even though Apple now has it's own version of an Open Source license.
Linux will remain the bridge where travelers meet and cross.  Linux
alone is the completely Open Source OS, and that is the fork in the
road.  How different can this be?

Well for many years I was a fan of BBedit, then because of Unix I had to
become familiar with emacs, xemacs, vi and vim.  After long study and
practice I figured out how to make vim function
with the niceties I enjoyed when I used BBedit; I haven't gone back to
use BBedit or the Mac OS since.

Vim of course is free, but more than that it really has far more
flexibility and power than BBedit.
Xemacs has more power still, you can play the Towers of Hanoi, Life and
code all in seperate buffers similtaneously AND open another buffer and
do RPN calculations; it even has its own web-browser!!  Open Source is
cheap, but MAN that saying in the Open Source community is so true as I
comprehend more of its meaning everyday; NOBODY IS AS SMART AS
EVERYBODY!

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 14:01,
yellowdog-newbie-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Software wanted for YDL (Bradley Martin)
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:09:19 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bradley Martin <novacrook@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Software wanted for YDL
> To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>

> --- Clinton MacDonald <clint.macdonald@ttuhsc.edu>
> wrote:
> > Friends:
> >
> > Where does one find software for Yellow Dog Linux?
> > Is there a central
> > repository of pre-compiled software that can be
> > searched, perhaps
> > hosted by the Yellow Dog/Terra Soft folks,
> > themselves? For Macintosh
> > software, most people go straight to VersionTracker
> > <http://www.versiontracker.com/>, and for Windows
> > software, there are
> > several sites (I know only of Tucows). What do you
> > recommend?
> >
> > To get started, some of the applications I might be
> > interested in
> > include a bibliography database (like Endnote) and a
> > graphical CPU
> > monitor (something I could put in the system tray).
> > While pointers to
> > those specific apps would be welcome, this is your
> > opportunity to teach
> > me to fish on my own.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> http://www.sourceforge.net/ !!!
> otherwise--look up what you need to do on google...
> 'spread sheet linux' (openoffice.org btw!)
>
> what kind of software are you looking for?
>
> there's a link buried in the tigerbeat6.com website
> for free mac sound software which then leads to a free
> linux sound software link...for example...
>

> just keep looking up linux resources and you'll find stuff!
>
> =====
> <i am not bradley martin>

> http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

--=-B88A8PuoXi8tnRUHnMaB

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Hi There Bradley:<BR>
YDL is, I believe the real OS for the Mac, for those who want complete control of every aspect of their computer system.&nbsp; It also does that in a manner which is standard throughout Linux and so when and if you really can do serious coding in almost any language; while you are working on your creation, you'll be able to recognize and better comprehend ideas expressed in source, written for PCs.&nbsp; This is a really powerful, learn by doing kind of experience, which was just not possible on this scale earlier (before Champion Server, RIP).&nbsp; It is quite marvelous how the Open Source concept works, and helps, if one really wants to get &quot;up there&quot; and be a better programmer.<BR>
<BR>
The complexities, understanding what Open Source code is (viewing the website of sourceforge.net can be just a hint of what is going on; but before that read The Register and /. (i.e. Slashdot, for those who need to read English still), downloading it, and rebuilding and recompiling it so that if a PPC version of that program didn't exist before; it will now because you created it on your system can provide a sense of accomplishment before even running the program.<BR>
<BR>
It can be a bit overwhelming as one realizes just what is entailed in doing this kind of work.&nbsp; In my opinion, versiontracker.com and similar sites are for regular folk.&nbsp; Linux is way, way beyond all that; but like any truly complex system (see Chaos Theory and Fractals; did you know there are even Fractal Dimensions?) Beauty, Amazement and just plain Fun can be had for each at their own level while sharing nearly instantaneously across disparate computers and networks.&nbsp; Now that's Power!<BR>
That is something, that Apple hardware with YDL can achieve.&nbsp; The Mac OS will be something like the Sun OS eventually, maybe already is.&nbsp; Remember that anything written for the Mac OS will remain proprietary, even though Apple now has it's own version of an Open Source license.&nbsp; Linux will remain the bridge where travelers meet and cross.&nbsp; Linux alone is the completely Open Source OS, and that is the fork in the road.&nbsp; How different can this be?<BR>
<BR>
Well for many years I was a fan of BBedit, then because of Unix I had to become familiar with emacs, xemacs, vi and vim.&nbsp; After long study and practice I figured out how to make vim function<BR>
with the niceties I enjoyed when I used BBedit; I haven't gone back to use BBedit or the Mac OS since.<BR>
<BR>
Vim of course is free, but more than that it really has far more flexibility and power than BBedit.<BR>
Xemacs has more power still, you can play the Towers of Hanoi, Life and code all in seperate buffers similtaneously AND open another buffer and do RPN calculations; it even has its own web-browser!!&nbsp; Open Source is cheap, but MAN that saying in the Open Source community is so true as I comprehend more of its meaning everyday; NOBODY IS AS SMART AS EVERYBODY!<BR>
<BR>
On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 14:01, yellowdog-newbie-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:<BR>
<FONT SIZE="3"></FONT><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>