finding & installing apps, secure file transfer

glenn greenfield yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:47:57 -0700

I have only been subscribed to this list for a short while so perhaps some or all of this has already been said but there are a few ways to install apps and find out which apps you have installed.  Yellowdog has their own package manager 'yum' of course
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/yum.shtml
It's worked well for me although the package selection seemed a bit small.  It has yet to cause any dependency issues.  There is also apt-get, ported from Debian GNU Linuxd to RPM based distros.
http://bazar.conectiva.com.br/~godoy/apt-howto/

I am certain that I saw a page on ydl regarding Portage the Gentoo Linux pkg mgr although I didn't see it last I looked.  Anyone else?

If you're using KDE open Konsole:
Settings>Schema (change it so it's not so ugly).

cd /usr/bin
ls
cd /usr/sbin
ls

Everything in the color yellow is an executable script.  You can find out what a file is like so:
file makekdedoc
makekdedoc: a /usr/bin/perl -I/usr/share/kdoc script text executable

I have never had any adverse reactions simply executing any of these scripts under Linux.  If it isn't meant to be executed directly it will usually either tell you so or simply do nothing.

Caveat: There is a notice on ydl.com however...."Do not use scripts located in /usr/lib/yi/ not listed above. This may cause severe damage to your system!"

Some scripts (that you downloaded perhaps) need to first be made executable like so:

sudo chmod +x name_of_script

And executed like so:
./name_of_script

Fortunately tho- we are using OSS.  You can always get the source and compile anything you want yourself,  irregadless of any package management system.  It's not at all hard just different than what you're accustomed to.

Here are some basic "get you started commands" for Linux.
http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11200&sid=d85804bd4e189296096e1fd199942825#11200

Use fish-
Easy, open source, Secure SHell file transfer for KDE.  Forget setting up FTP or worse yet telnet for your machines either local or remote.  Fire up Konqueror (web browser) and enter username and i.p. address of the far machine.
fish://username@192.168.0.103
as long as an ssh daemon is running on that machine and you have an account on said box you will have immediate access.  Of course there is a password requirement. It's drag and drop easy and requires no configuration whatsoever.  I just learned that OSX includes ssh by default.  It is also available for older flavors of Macos.  In Linux you simply issue: 'sshd' to start the ssh daemon.

It's great to see Mac users who are accustomed to an easy to use and straightforward interface interested in Linux enough to learn how it works.  I'll admit that sometimes I myself have to wonder why -well..only for a moment of course. :P  I would dare say that Linux is addictive.

http://www.linuxmail.org/