Ack Phooey!

Chaz McGarvey yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:29:28 -0600

On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 09:57 PM, Jason McQueen wrote:

> Here are my System Specs
>
> G4 400 AGP
> 320mb Ram
> DVD-Ram
> ATI 8500
> IBM Deskstar 60GB and IBM Deskstar 20GB
>
> I can't seem for the life of me to install YDL. I have gone so far as
> to unplug my 60 GB with OS X and OS 9 Partitions, and leave the 20GB
> with nothing installed on it, I format the drive as both unallocated
> and HFS/HFS+, still no go. Tells me the partitions are wrong and wants
> to fix, I then have the installer reformat the drive as needed. But
> the kicker is the install gets about half way then barfs out, could my
> sucky ass DVD-Ram be the culprit? I am dying here HELP!!!

You definitely want your 20GB to be formatted as "unallocated" by Disk
Utility.  If this is done, the installer _should_ be able to create the
partitions out of that space for you (unless you want to do it yourself
for some reason).  It seems that you were at least able to do this and
get to the install process.  At this point, how does it "barf?"  Does
it report any error messages?  It's not likely to be a problem with
your dvd-ram, but I need a little more information.

BTW- Because you are aiming for a system sporting 2 hard drives, you
should be aware of a bug in the installer which makes the OS X hard
drive unaccessible:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_3.0/dual-drive-
avoid.shtml
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_3.0/dual-drive-