Dum Question

Suman Chakrabarti yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:28:06 -0500

Ron gives an excellent answer to Gerald below:

>Hi Gerald,

[ snip ]

>	tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz
>
>And that will unzip and untar it at the same time. This will leave
>you with a directory, most likely with the name of the filename of
>the tar.gz file. Inside that directory will probably be a README and
>an INSTALL file. You should read those. The INSTALL file will
>probably instruct you to use the following commands:
>
>	./config
>	make
>	make install
>
>If all goes well, then your new software is installed and ready to use.
>
>-Ron

Clarification, please.

I've seen ./configure scripts (although I haven't yet successfully
used one on the code I'm trying to install).

Is ./config taking the place of ./configure? Basically, is one
becoming more preferential to use, or is there any other difference
to keep in mind? Or are they identical.

		SC

--
Suman Chakrabarti, Ph.D.
Thermal / Fluids / Plasma Propulsion Modeling Engineer	(& Kitchen Sink)

TD40 / Propulsion Research Center		<Suman.Chakrabarti@nasa.gov>
NASA Marshall Space Flight Center		AIM/iChat:  <scstr@mac.com>
Huntsville, AL  35812
			Schedule:	<webcal://ical.mac.com/scstr/Work.ics>

TD40 is a part of the Space Transportation Directorate at NASA MSFC
Any opinion expressed is my own and not that of NASA

"If it's Sumanly possible, it'll be done."