failerd install try, specifically: I can't get the computer to boot from the YDL-3.0 CD

Alan Bailey yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:17:21 +0100

--Apple-Mail-8--40020559
	delsp=yes;
	charset=US-ASCII;
	format=flowed

Chris,
         I've just gone through this myself... here's what U do:

Your Mac is a Beige G3. And the Important bit of info with regard to
YDL is that its an Old World Mac. This means that you can't boot from
the YDL CD at all. Your on the right path with Boot X, but you a) need
to either partition your HD and reinstall MacOS on the second
partition. Or Install a second HD which you can dedicate to YDL. And b)
You need to get the Kernal file from your YDL CD-1 and drop it into
your system folder of Mac OS.
    There's a great PDF of how to do all this on Terasoft's website..
read through it a few times paying attention to Old World Macs, and
you'll be booting YDL before you know it..... and thats when things can
get tricky ;-)  lol

Good Luck.

                 Alan.

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 10:00  pm, Chris Arleth wrote:

> I have a powerPC (desktop, NOT tower).  It shipped with 8.5 (one of the
> first to do so, I later upgraded it to 8.6).
> 266MHz, 192MB ram (128+32+32), built in SCSI plug, built in ethernet,
> after market USB
> built November 1998
> no model # visible on the case and I can't remember how to check it
> from
> the OS itself.
>
> 	Here's what I've done.  I've tried putting the YDL (yellow dog
> linux) CD into the CD drive and restarted it, held C-key down and
> didn't
> do anything but start up in OS 8.6.
>
> 	I then installed bootX (version 1.2.2).  Now whether I hold the C
> key down or not, it tells me there's no appropriate linux kernal (or
> words to thast effect). in a Hobson's choice dialog box (i.e. OK is the
> only thing I can click).  When I do, it resumes booting.
>
> 	What am I doing wrong?  Don't advise me to go to the Linux Users
> Group on Campus, they never heard of yellow dog linux until I mentioned
> it, plus I'm the only member who ever attempted to install it).
>
> Thanks,
> 	Chris
>
> PS: The really sick thing about this is I paid for tech support help on
> this and I've lost the packing sheet (threre's 30 wasted bucks).

-------

Hey, Hey... its a party!... I want to party too. Please don't ask me
about G4's tonight..please...

--Apple-Mail-8--40020559

Chris,

        I've just gone through this myself... here's what U do:

Your Mac is a Beige G3. And the Important bit of info with regard to
YDL is that its an Old World Mac. This means that you can't boot from
the YDL CD at all. Your on the right path with Boot X, but you a) need
to either partition your HD and reinstall MacOS on the second
partition. Or Install a second HD which you can dedicate to YDL. And
b) You need to get the Kernal file from your YDL CD-1 and drop it into
your system folder of Mac OS.

   There's a great PDF of how to do all this on Terasoft's website..
read through it a few times paying attention to Old World Macs, and
you'll be booting YDL before you know it..... and thats when things
can get tricky ;-)  lol

Good Luck.

                Alan.

<excerpt>I have a powerPC (desktop, NOT tower).  It shipped with 8.5