help on install of MaconLinux

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:10:31 +0100

I saw that YDL 3.0 comes with MaconLinux - so if you have installed all the
packages it is already installed on your system.

The easiest thing to do is to download the RPM package and do "rpm -ivh
rpm-package-name" without the quotes.

But to answer your question, if it is a .tar.gz (or tgz) untar it with "tar
-zxvf filename" - but if it is just a .tar file then "tar -xvf filename"

Dhiraj

-----Original Message-----
From: Kent Wieland [mailto:kwwielan@alpha.delta.edu]
Sent: 28 August 2003 14:48
To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: help on install of MaconLinux

Help!  I'm guessing install questions have been discussed here ad
nauseam but please excuse another plea; I'm new to the list.  I'm
trying to install MaconLinux but am truly stuck.  The requisite bkgd
info:

Newly installed YDL 3.0 on:
Ibook 800 12" (640mg RAM)
Airport (connecting just fine right from the installer--woohoo!)

I've downloaded the installer which sits in my home directory.  It is a
.tar file.  How do I "unzip" (or whatever the correct terminology would
be for .tar files) and install the program?

Can this be done through the gui (konqueror)?  Or do I have to resort
to the terminal?  If I do have to resort to the terminal, how would go
about it?  Does the file have to be somewhere specific to do this?  As
I stated, the file is currently in my home file.  Does it have to be
somewhere in root's directory?

Do I need to download the stuffit expander Linux version?  Come to
think of it, I wouldn't know how to install that either...

pretty stinkin' clueless,
Kent
kwwielan@alpha.delta.edu