yellowdog-newbie digest, Vol 1 #641 - 12 msgs

Alan Bailey yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:49:41 +0100

--Apple-Mail-4-289518937
	delsp=yes;
	charset=US-ASCII;
	format=flowed

Chris,
          Well this rings bells to me.....  My PM8500 that I installed
YDL onto also had the same CD-Rom as a Beige G3. I actually took it
from my Beige before I put a CDR into it.......  I think YDL does'nt
support the Apple 24x IDE CD-Rom drives.....  at least the ones used in
Beige G3's.
   I got around this problem by hooking an old 4x SCSI CD=Rom onto the
external SCSI connection, and YDL saw it straight away.  I'd put the
problem down to the IDE CD being on an IDE PCI card..... but it seems
your getting the same thing!!!   Do you have another CD Drive you could
use?

Alan.

On Sunday, August 31, 2003, at 05:24  pm, Chris Arleth wrote:

> My only experience is loading YDL 3 on a G4/1GHz machine... it booted
> right from the CD and graphical install was intuitive enough.
> 	That's not happening on this one.  I've installed bootX and I've
> dragged that ramdisk.image.gz file to the system folder, please note
> I've
> also followed the instructions for putting all bootX files (except the
> two that were to be put into the "extentions" and "control pannel"
> directories) into the "linux kernals" directory in the "System folder"
> directory (this included BootX 1.2.2 ReadMe, BootX FAQ, COPYING, and
> four
> folders: Linux Kernals, miBoot, Sources and Utilities.
>
>> Your Mac is a Beige G3. And the Important bit of info with regard to
>> YDL is that its an Old World Mac. This means that you can't boot from
>> the YDL CD at all. Your on the right path with Boot X, but you a) need
>> to either partition your HD and reinstall MacOS on the second
>> partition. Or Install a second HD which you can dedicate to YDL. And
>> b)
>> You need to get the Kernal file from your YDL CD-1 and drop it into
>> your system folder of Mac OS.
>>    There's a great PDF of how to do all this on Terasoft's website..
>> read through it a few times paying attention to Old World Macs, and
>> you'll be booting YDL before you know it..... and thats when things
>> can
>> get tricky ;-)  lol
>
> 	I can't understand it.  I followed the directs and I still can't
> boot from the CD to install it, and it still has that error message
> dialog box ("no suitable kernal present" or words to that effect).
>
> 	How do I make it boot up to the install CD?  I need to get it to
> boot up to the CD or else I need another way to run the installer.
>
> 	I've had two weeks of CSS360 (intro. to Unix), 18 August was the
> first day of this class, so I can barely write a shellscript and Dr.
> Seyfath is very knowledgable about intel architecture running
> Unix/Linux/and similar OSes, but he has no idea about Motorolla
> architecture except that it can run Unix/Linux and MacOS X is based on
> SCO Unix.
>
>> Good Luck.
>
> 	(I'll need it) and Thanks In Advance
> Chris
>>
>                  Alan.

-------

Hey, Hey... its a party!... I want to party too. Please don't ask me
about G4's tonight..please...

--Apple-Mail-4-289518937

[...]

<excerpt>Your Mac is a Beige G3. And the Important bit of info with
regard to

YDL is that its an Old World Mac. This means that you can't boot from

the YDL CD at all. Your on the right path with Boot X, but you a) need

to either partition your HD and reinstall MacOS on the second

partition. Or Install a second HD which you can dedicate to YDL. And
b)

You need to get the Kernal file from your YDL CD-1 and drop it into

your system folder of Mac OS.

   There's a great PDF of how to do all this on Terasoft's website..

read through it a few times paying attention to Old World Macs, and

you'll be booting YDL before you know it..... and thats when things
can

get tricky ;-)  lol

</excerpt>

	I can't understand it.  I followed the directs and I still can't

boot from the CD to install it, and it still has that error message

dialog box ("no suitable kernal present" or words to that effect).

	How do I make it boot up to the install CD?  I need to get it to

boot up to the CD or else I need another way to run the installer.

	I've had two weeks of CSS360 (intro. to Unix), 18 August was the

first day of this class, so I can barely write a shellscript and Dr.

Seyfath is very knowledgable about intel architecture running

Unix/Linux/and similar OSes, but he has no idea about Motorolla

architecture except that it can run Unix/Linux and MacOS X is based on

SCO Unix.

<excerpt>Good Luck.

</excerpt>

	(I'll need it) and Thanks In Advance