Wallstreet install/boot/screen problems

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:41:30 -0000

Hello!

I'm having a couple of problems on my Wallstreet powerbook - the basic
233MHz one with the 12" crappy LCD screen.  I've upped the drive to 12 gig
and have 160Mb RAM.

The first problem is that I'd like to have OSX and YDL on it.  Owing to the
Open Firmware (2.0.1) I also must have OS9 in order to use BootX, but no
matter how I partition the drive (though OSX must be within the first 8
Gig) and in which order I install, on reboot I either get a kernel panic
(no init found) on YDL or I get an DEFAULT CATCH! when trying to boot into
OSX.  Looks like I can have either OSX or YDL, but not both.  OS9 always
works though!  Currently I've just got OS9 and YDL, which is great, but I'd
really like to have OSX as well. (something about cake and eating!).  I was
just wondering if anyone else had sucessfully managed to put YDL (I've
tried 2.2 and 2.3 and the 2.2 kernel) *and* OSX (10.2.3) on a Wallstreet?

The second problem is with YDL.  It all boots into the command-line just
great. I use the argument:  video=atyfb:vmode:10 as suggested on the YDL
site (as opposed to video=atyfb:vmode:14 which is I think the option for a
slightly better Wallstreet and doesn't seem to work with mine).  The
problem comes when I launch X.  The screen goes white.  Really white!  If I
angle the LCD panel I can just about make out the screen.  The contrast and
brightness are waaaaaay up.  I get this usually if I reset the PRAM, but
under OS9 the contrast and brightness buttons work!  Under YDL they don't
make any difference (in fact pressing the contrast button just puts ~~~~~~
on the screen.)  The same is true under OSX, but I can use the ColorSync
preference to change it; I can't find a similar preference in X.  Quitting
X returns me to the command line, but the LCD is still too bright to read.
If I reboot, it's all fine again until I launch X.  I have plugged an SVGA
monitor into the Wallstreet and it all looks fine and dandy on the monitor,
so I assume it's a specific Wallstreet LCD hardware / xinitrc problem?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance
Suzanne