Why YDL? Why Linux? Why YDL instead of OS X?

John Martin yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 08 Feb 2003 14:05:04 -0500

I installed YDL on my G466 (OS9) mostly as a 're'-learning experience.

A couple of years ago I installed Linux on my Quadra 650 and was totally
underwhelmed, so I thought I would see if anything has improved. After using YDL for
a few weeks, trying to solve all the idiotic inconsistencies and reasons for non
functioning hardware, I made enough progress to have a Linux 'system' (and I use
that term loosely!) which still does less than what my Mac does, and with much
greater effort, thus YDL sits unused on my system.

OS X, Linux, 'doze...they're all the same to me. I dread the day when I can no
longer get new, useful software for OS 9, the last Macintosh.

And that's just my 2 ¢.

Regards,
John

rjgoos@ydl.net wrote:

> Perhaps an odd set of questions.  I belong to a small Mac club, and the members
> know I'm fooling around with YDL on an old PM 7200, so I imagine it's only a
> matter of time before I'm asked to demonstrate YDL at a club meeting.
>
> I'm sure I'd be asked...why mess around with YDL, since OS X is now BSD-based?
> I've got one answer:  runs on several pre-G3 machines...but what else could I
> offer?  Why would anyone use YDL, for example, on an iMac, since OS X is
> available?
>
> As for me, I am experimenting with YDL on this old 7200 simply to get myself
> introduced to the world of Linux/Unix, on a machine that has no other purpose.
> If I screw something up and accidently erase the hard drive...nothing lost but
> time.  I wouldn't dare experiment with my iMac at work, or my wife's iMac here at
> home.
>
> Jay

http://www.paynoincometax.com

WINTEL...the cubic zirconium of computers.©

"A true man, like a true horse, runs with his own breed."
-From KIM by Rudyard Kipling

The only good cb'er is a DEAD cb'er.
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