Windows and Desktop Managers

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:13:44 -0000

--On Tuesday, February 11, 2003 8:37 pm -0600 chriskomarnicki@shaw.ca wrote:

> I'd like to look into these window managers. Does anyone have any useful
> links so I can get more info on these without relying too much on this
> mailing list? I've already got a ton of questions ;)

I've not checked, but I suspect sawfish, fvwm, enlightenment etc come with
YDL.  Failing that apt-get them.  Edit your .xinitrc so that the last line
is something like

exec sawfish

# out any lines referring to gnome-session or startkde

(Probably a good idea to back up the .xinitrc file first!)

If you get into difficulties, press..um..I *think* it's
ctrl-shift-backspace and that will quit X cleanly.  This is where you
really do need to have at least a two button mouse so that you can right
and left click.  Don't forget these are windows managers, not desktop
managers.  Check out places like www.enlightenment.org for more information.

Suzanne