install java_2

kaos yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
12 Feb 2003 19:02:32 -0600

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 19:16, Ray Lacgalvs wrote:
> Hello all,
> must be making the same error with this file - thought I followed the
> instructions.
> Why can`t it be seen?
>
> [root@tpg raiyza]# ls -l cadaver-0.20.5.tar.gz
> -rw-rw-r--    1 raiyza   raiyza     412233 Feb  8 01:43 cadaver-0.20.5.tar.gz
> [root@tpg raiyza]# tar -xvfz cadaver-0.20.5.tar.gz
> tar: z: Cannot open: No such file or directory
>

> Yet here the file clearly is in my home directory
> file:/home/raiyza/cadaver-0.20.5.tar.gz
> Have tried renaming the file in the hope somehow it will be recognised.
> Any thoughts much appeciated.

The problem is not with the file, but with the 'tar' command.  The
option 'z' must be placed before the option 'f'. Here's an example:

tar -xzfv cadaver-0.20.5.tar.gz

Take apart the tar command and options. It helps to put the options in
logical order: first 'tar', then the option -x (extract), then z
(zipped), then f (file) and lastly v (verbosely).

So in essence, you use the tar command and the options in this order:
extract(x) zipped(z) file(f) verbosely(v).

This should work. Please respond and let me (and everyone else on the
list) know if I'm mistaken.

--[kaos] - kaos@staticusers.net  |
--save the planet, kill yourself |