How to eject a floppy on a G3 running YDL?

kaos yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
12 Feb 2003 19:19:48 -0600

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 20:15, Randall wrote:
> Hi list,
> I have figured out how to eject the cd tray, after unmounting the drive.
>
> But the floppy drive doesn't have an eject button.  Once I unmount the
> floppy, it doesn't eject.  How is it done? - without rebooting!   ;- )
>
> Cheers,
> Randall.

Hi Randall,

I haven't had any experience with a floppy drive in a G3, especially one
without a manual eject button. I strongly advise against using the
paperclip method, because surely there is a non-physical method to eject
the floppy.

My guess would be to use the 'eject' command followed by the '-f'
option.

This was taken from the 'eject' man page:

"-f   This option specifies that the drive should be ejected using  a
removable  floppy  disk  eject command."

You may also have to specify the actual floppy device, which is no doubt
/dev/fd0, so this command may work:

eject -f /dev/fd0

Please respond and let everyone know if this was successful.

--
--[kaos] - kaos@staticusers.net  |