(no subject)

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:45:50 -0000

--On Friday, February 21, 2003 4:55 pm +0100 Mark Nieuwenhuizen
<mark@marknieuwenhuizen.nl> wrote:

> After some fiddling with the arguments and the run level (set on 3) I
> finaly got into the system. But still no graphics but dull command lines.
> I'm pretty sure I selected a GUI in the installation.

Ahhh...this is UNIX....learn to love that command line! :)

> Somewhere else on this list i picked up the command startx but that ended
> up in "X connection to :0.0 broken (eplicit kill or server shutdown"

Check the log: /var/log/XFree86.0.log

It should tell you where the X Server had trouble.  It'll probably end up
saying something unhelpful like "no screens found", but it's a start.  Try
running an X Configuration program: /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86cfg

Good luck!
Suzanne