So New I have an Umbillical Cord

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 10:42:55 -0000

--On Saturday, February 22, 2003 11:25 am +0100 Mark Nieuwenhuizen
<mark@marknieuwenhuizen.nl> wrote:

> Her i find it goes wrong for the first time. Although i selected the
> grafical interface the YDL installer first tries some graphic mode but i
> get some 'graphic debris' with a bij 'X' in the middle. Then it swaps
> into text mode.
>
> By disagreeing wiht the licence i went back to the BootX installer, tried
> several video settings (according to LinuxPPC
> video=valkyriefb3:vmode:6,cmode:6)  Standard graphic card on 6400,
> 640x480 67Hz (works fine on mac os).

I remember on my Wallstreet YDL advised on the install a) to select "no
video" and b) use the text install.  The text install is really very easy,
it's sort of graphical - big buttons saying 'OK' or 'Done'.  You press the
tab key to get from one to the next.  There must be a reason why they
advise a text install on a machine that does eventually quite happily run X
(albeit with a slight problem on my particular model!).  Maybe try a no
video text install first?  Make sure it's all installed ok (boot, login
manually, then type 'reboot'), then try booting with the LinuxPPC suggested
video mode.

Suzanne