Install without booting

Bill Hughes yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 16:24:58 -0500

>Hi all,
>
>I have a 9600 with a 500 MHz G3 card, that refuses to boot from a CD ROM (as in,
>it won't even SEE the CD drive if I boot without extensions.  I went through 4
>different Apple branded CDs w/o any luck, so I'm just giving up on this).
>
>I downloaded the YDL CD image, and burned it onto a disk.  (IF I can get YDL
>installed and running on my computer, I'll buy the distribution, but given that
>my system is in the "should work" category, I figure there's no point buying
>until I know I'm not going to return it.)  Is there any way for me to install
>Yellow Dog Linux onto my computer without booting from their CD?  I have a
>completely blank 4 Gig SCSI HD I want to install it onto.
>
>TIA,
>
>Greg

That's really strange behavior for any (insert flavor) G3 upgrade card. Won't boot off of a CD at all? Are you sure that your SCSI bus is setup correctly (ie-correct/proper termination, no Bus ID setting conflicts, etc..)???

Well, as long as you can still boot Mac OS, then you needn't worry about it. The old world Macs have to boot into Mac OS "BEFORE"you can boot into YDL, via the "Boot X App". Basicly just a C.Panel and Extension that you install into your System Folder. It installs 2 YDL RAMDisk Boot images, one terminal-based and one X (or GUI-based if you prefer). After you install this, you restart (as long as you have them enabled in Extensions Manager). The Boot X App is one of the first loaded Extensions (on my 9500 w/XLR8MACh Carrier G3/500, the XLR8 Extension/Splash Screen loads before Boot X, but I don't know if you're hardware/software you're using, so YMMV) and will give you 10 Seconds to decide if you want to boot Linux or MacOS.

So basicly, to make all of the above seemingly pointless, as long as you can access your CD-ROM drive AFTER booting into MacOS, you don't have to have a Bootable CD-ROM drive.

Good Luck!!
Bill