yellowdog-newbie digest, Vol 1 #313 - 7 msgs

David Tisdell yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 18:26:36 -0800 (PST)

There is a laserwriter utility (runs in MacOS) that
you can use to change the AppleTalk name of the
printer. I forget the details. I have a copy somewhere
on a server at work. If I can find it. I will post the
exact name of the utility. Good Luck!
Dave
Message: 7
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 19:57:46 +0000
From: Jeroen Diederen <jjhdiederen@freeler.nl>
To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Re: Netatalk and AppleTalk Printers

Joe Villari wrote:

> > Sorry I could have said it in one go...
> > your Device URI is
> > pap://HP LaserJet 4MP
> > I don't know if that works with these
spaces...otherwise you have
> > give it another name like Joeprinter under MacOS
>

> I think this is the problem, I've tried evrything I
know of this
point
> with the address. CUPS says the printer is idle and
accepting jops, I
> send the test page and all seems fine and it just
does not print.

> I have NO idea how to change my printer name. On Mac
OS I went to
> chooser, selected setup, printer info, see the name
of the printer. I
> opened the ppd file and found where the printer name
was, edited it
read
> 4MP and this didnot change the name of the printer
in the chooser. I
did
> update info from the chooser and restarted to be
sure. Changed the
name
> of the ppd to 4MP still the same result. Searched
google, macworld
and
> HP's site for a howto or any documentation on how to
do this; none
> found. I did find several colleges that renamed
their 4MP on the
network
> but can't find out how to do so.
>
> If you or any one knows how, I'd be one HAPPY
camper.

> I even tried editing the print.conf and printcap
files to read HP
> LaserJet 4MP and "HP LaserJet 4MP", read some ldp
docs about needing
> enclose in quotes if there were spaces in the name,
still no good.

> So close.
>
> Thanks
> Again
> Joe

I got this printer from a friend, I don't know how he
gave the name to
the printer. I think you need some extra software
under macOS to give
it
another name I presume.