7200/75 install fails

Jay Savage yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 18:35:40 -0500

First, thanks to everyone who responded to my questions about
installing 7.5.3.  unfortunately, i had a hard drive failure on my
eMac, so i lost the messages and couldn't respond personally.

Now, I'm trying to install YDl on a 7200/75 running 7.6 (long story)
with a 500Mb Maxtor SCSI drive (original hardware) and a 40G Seagate
Baracuda IV on a PCI ATA controller.  I've installed everything
correctly--as far as i can tell--on the Mac side, and BootX comes up
when it should, but when i click on Linux, the screen goes black, and
nothing happens, no matter how long i let it sit.  I don't hear the CD
whirring, nothing.  If I couldn't see the green light, I'd think I'd
turned it off.  The monitor even goes to sleep because there's no video.

i've tried everything i can think of, including turning off all the
Bootx options one-by-one, trying different ramdisks.  I even tried the
2.4 (vmlinux) kernel once, just for kicks.  But still nothing, not even
an error message.

Any ideas?

thanks,

--jay