monitor flicker

Arthur yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:59:46 -0500

Hello everyone
	ok just installed 2.3ydl on a 7300 ppc, 177 ram,
	1710 applevision monitor. used the install video to guide me.
	using a dual boot option via bootx, sys 9.1 is on the other partion
	at startup I select "vmlinux-2.2" ( picking 2.3 vmlinux seems to
always freeze just after the hardware check) I have tried setting
options to pick "use specified ram disk ramdisk-x11.image.gz  as well
as not picking it.
	what happens is, it goes through the whole hardware check, tells me
that "dev/sda9 was not cleanly mounted"
	continues with a few more checks.
	then it says welcome to YDL ....
	the monitor then turns off and starts up again with the GUI interface,
however at this point it just flickers. I have gotten as far as seeing
a desk top ( not easy to log in when the dialogue box keeps moving) but
that's it.
	Please any help will be very much appreciated!!!

	NOTE:
	Please let me know how to find out the root partion number as I did
not take note during install ( ok it's my very first time)  as I have
not tried to plug that into the bootx dialog following the /dev/ field.
	during install of YDL I did pick my monitor from the list and kept the
default res setting. And bootx is v.1.2.3 the YDL partion is 2 gig's.
Lastly when I try to select the option to use vmlinux 2.2 and direct it
to the ram disk image it always wants to reinstall the whole thing?!?!

	There seems to be a slight discrepency between the video install guide
for YDL 2.3 and the printed file off the YDL support site.

	Thank you again
	Arthur