PowerMac 7500/G3

Jerry Grubbs yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:06:28 -0500

--Apple-Mail-2-645879020

Christopher,
I'll send you a copy of a similar question i asked recently of YDL.

I have followed all printed and on screen instructions for installing
and using Bootx. I installed and saved Bootx on my scsi drive named
Macintosh HD which I formated OS standard and installed OS 9.2.2 after
making 2 partitions. First 6 gig unassigned/remainder was standard for
OS 9.2.2. I have an IDE drive installed but not powered at the moment
since OS 10.2 lives there and I don't want it messed up.
After macOS 9.2.2 loads I clicked the Bootx option (force SCSI on) . I
have choosen ramdisk-x11 from the macintosh HD System folder and
clicked ok. When I click OK nothing happens except that I am returned
to the main  choose your OS window.After waiting about 30 minutes for
something to happen I click the Linux button because all the commands
at the top of the screen are no longer available. The computer reboots,
I click Linux when it appears on the OS choice screen, the #1 YDL disk
has been in the cd drive forever and I get (OOPS kernal access of bad
area, sig: 11), lots of other stuff on the screen and (kernal panic:
attempted to kill init!) Rebooting in 180 seconds.
Mon Jan 20, 2003 ... 05:58:16 pm

It might be your upgrade card unfortunately. As of YDL 2.3 we can no
longer officially support the CPU upgrade. If you remove the upgrade
card, does the install work?
The above response was sent to me on Jan 20, 2003

My YDL profile shows a G3 Beige 266Mhz upgraded to a G4 500Mhz
processor. apparently YDL 2.3 does NOT run with upgraded CPU's. Yeah,
bummer!!! I am not going back to 266 Mhz.

Jerry

On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 02:23 PM, Christopher Jett wrote:

> I am brand new to the list and still downloading my installation CD
> image as
> I write this.  I am going to try to install YDL on a PowerMac 7500
> with a
> Sonnet 500mhz G3 upgrade.  Has anyone had success doing this?  Will
> YDL work
> OK with ATA drives attached to the Sonnet Tempo ATA/66 card?  My
> intention
> is to use this spare machine as a DNS server.
> --
>   Christopher Jett   |  Jett Fuel Productions
> chris@jettfuel.net   |  http://www.jettfuel.net
>     (830) 798-8723   |  (888) 403-JETT

--Apple-Mail-2-645879020

Christopher,

I'll send you a copy of a similar question i asked recently of YDL.

printed and on screen instructions for installing and using Bootx. I
installed and saved Bootx on my scsi drive named Macintosh HD which I
formated OS standard and installed OS 9.2.2 after making 2 partitions.
First 6 gig unassigned/remainder was standard for OS 9.2.2. I have an
IDE drive installed but not powered at the moment since OS 10.2 lives
there and I don't want it messed up.

After macOS 9.2.2 loads I clicked the Bootx option (force SCSI on) . I
have choosen ramdisk-x11 from the macintosh HD System folder and
clicked ok. When I click OK nothing happens except that I am returned
to the main  choose your OS window.After waiting about 30 minutes for
something to happen I click the Linux button because all the commands
at the top of the screen are no longer available. The computer
reboots, I click Linux when it appears on the OS choice screen, the #1
YDL disk has been in the cd drive forever and I get (OOPS kernal
access of bad area, sig: 11), lots of other stuff on the screen and
(kernal panic: attempted to kill init!) Rebooting in 180 seconds.

Mon Jan 20, 2003 ... 05:58:16 pm

It might be your upgrade card unfortunately. As of YDL 2.3 we can no
longer officially support the CPU upgrade. If you remove the upgrade
card, does the install work?

The above response was sent to me on Jan 20, 2003

My YDL profile shows a G3 Beige 266Mhz upgraded to a G4 500Mhz
processor. apparently YDL 2.3 does NOT run with upgraded CPU's. Yeah,
bummer!!! I am not going back to 266 Mhz.

Jerry

</bigger></fontfamily>

<excerpt>I am brand new to the list and still downloading my
installation CD image as

I write this.  I am going to try to install YDL on a PowerMac 7500
with a

Sonnet 500mhz G3 upgrade.  Has anyone had success doing this?  Will
YDL work

OK with ATA drives attached to the Sonnet Tempo ATA/66 card?  My
intention

is to use this spare machine as a DNS server.

--

  Christopher Jett   |  Jett Fuel Productions

chris@jettfuel.net   |  http://www.jettfuel.net

    (830) 798-8723   |  (888) 403-JETT

 Web Design, Web Hosting, and Custom Solutions