Is it worth it? - forgot Mac-on-Linux ;-)

Fred Laxton yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 01:22:35 -0500

I checked, and I have Mac OS 9 set to use IP 192.168.0.7, while Linux
uses 192.168.0.5.

Other than that, it works fine, and should do everything you described.
It looks intimidating if you've never edited a configuration file, but
it really isn't a big deal.  Start with the stock files that come with
MOL, and make a backup of every file you change in case you mess up,
until you get it working.

I use this command to start MOL:

kdesu /home/fred/bin/molos9.sh

I found that it doesn't work right unless I run MOL as root.  "kdesu"
opens a root password prompt, and then runs the rest of the command as root.

Here's the contents of that bash script:

umount /MacOS9
umount /MacOSX
startmol -a
mount /MacOS9
mount /MacOSX

Following is my /etc/mol/molrc.macos configuration file (look at it,
don't just copy it in, as the line wraps in email will break it):

# -*- perl -*- (for emacs syntax coloring)
#
#  /etc/mol/molrc. Mac-on-Linux master configuration file for MacOS booting
#

# Parse other config files (these files are in /etc/mol/)

include		${etc}/molrc.video	# video configuration
include		${etc}/molrc.input	# mouse and keyboard
include		${etc}/molrc.net	# networking

# Misc Settings

#ram_size:		48		# should probably be increased
ram_size:		128		# should probably be increased
disable_altivec:	no		#

sound_driver:		dsp		# (any | dsp | esd)
sound_device:		/dev/dsp

play_startboing:	no		# Play startboing
#disable_sound:		yes		#

# HFS Volumes
#
#	To use a HFS disk in mol, add a blkdev line. The syntax is
#
#		blkdev:		<device>   [flags]
#
#	where <device> can be an entire disk (/dev/sda), a single
#	partition (/dev/sda6) or a disk image (/home/samuel/moldisk).
#
#	Valid flags are
#
#		-rw/-ro		read-write / read-only [default]
#		-force		export non-HFS partitions (be careful!)
#		-cd		CD
#		-boot		boot from this disk.
#

# Session 0, boot from harddisk
ifeq ${session} 0 {
	blkdev:		/dev/hda9	-rw -boot
	blkdev:		/dev/hda10	-rw
	blkdev:		/dev/cdrom	-cd
#	blkdev:		/dev/sdb	-rw
}

# Session 1 (boot from install CD)
ifeq ${session} 1 {
	blkdev:		/dev/cdrom	-cd -boot

	blkdev:		/dev/hda9	-rw
	blkdev:		/dev/hda10	-rw
#	blkdev:		/dev/sda	-rw
#	blkdev:		/dev/sdb	-rw
}

# MacOS ROM Newworld Configuration
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
#
#	By default, MOL loads the 'Mac OS ROM' file directly from the System
Folder
#	of the startup disk. If this is not desirable (e.g. if the ROM happens
#	to be incompatible and it is desirable to use another version), the ROM
#	can be loaded from linux by using the newworld_rom keyword. Note that
#	the ROM file must be copied to the linux side as a *binary* without
#	any kind of encoding (avoid MacBinary in particular).
#
#		newworld_rom:	/BK/roms/rom.1.6.nw

--
Fred Laxton

InfoTechDesign.net - Classic Web Design & Hosting
http://infotechdesign.net

My contact information:
http://infotechdesign.net/my_contact_information.htm