Timezone

Les Bowen yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:15:02 -0600 (MDT)

the clock may be right, but the hardware clock may not be.

in a terminal window, run 'date' to see if the settings are correct. If
they are correct, you may need to adjust the timezone setting in KDE
(which I imagine you are running). it is set by right-clicking
(F11-clicking?) on the clock. I imagine it is done similarly in gnome.

If the settings are wrong, you may need to set the hardware clock to the
correct date and time. You can accomplish this by running
'redhat-config-date' as root, or selecting "Date & Time" under the "System
Settings" menu on the K menu (it may be somewhere else in gnome).

Once the panel is up, set the time-zone first. Select a city close tou you
that is in your timezone, and be sure (VERY IMPORTANT!) to check the box
that reads "System clock uses GMT". if you don't, the clock on your
machine will be off when you boot into OSX or OS9. Click apply, then set
the clock in the date and time tab to the time, as you see it on your
clock. click OK. run 'date' in a terminal again to make sure you have done
everything right.

the clock on the panel my need to be adjusted, and often won't reset until
you log out of KDE and back in (If you log out and see the time correctly,
you have the hardware clock set right, you can also check this by running
'date' in a terminal.) After that, you may still need to adjust the clock
in KDE (select the right timezone, but don't change the date), by
right-clicking on your clock in the panel.

regards,

LKB