How to boot ?

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:43:27 +0200

Hi

> You will be able to select a few option, one of them is to mount your
> Linux drive on /mnt/sysimage. When you do this it will allow you do
> look at everything on your Linux drive/partition.

Yes, i found my partition.
They are all here : hda 1 to 8 : apple drivers and patches
hda9 : apple_bootstrap (1Mo)
hda10 : my OS 9 partition
hda11 : swap
hda12 : my linux partition

editing yaboot.conf gives me :
boot = unconfigured
init-message = welcome...
defaultos = linux
delay = 10
default=Linux
timeout50

image=/boot/vmlinux
root = /dev/hda3
label = linux
read-only

Then, I changed manually the values to :

boot = /dev/hda9
init-message = welcome...
defaultos = linux
delay = 10
default=Linux
timeout50

image=/boot/vmlinux
root = /dev/hda12
label = linux
read-only

I tried all utilities about yaboot :
yabootconfig (used to create yaboot.conf file, but doesn't work)
mkofboot -b /dev/hda9 -C yaboot.conf (supposed to initializes bootstrap
partition) : no error, seems to work
ybin -b /dev/hda9 -C yaboot.conf : no error

(I've found documentation here :
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/yaboot-howto.html/index.en.html)

But, after all of this, my ibook boot in OS 9.
L key doesn't work, even after zapping pRam.

> By the way, have you tried this:
>
> http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/
> boot_functions.shtml

Yes, this was the first thing I tried. It said that if I have bootstrap before
my partition (what I have), I just have to zap pRam 5 times to make things
works...

Some questions :
- I 've formatted with OS 9 and installed OS 9 (keeping an empty partition for
YLD). Then I have booted on YLD CD and installed linux.
Maybe should start by installing Linux ? Leaving an empty partition for OS 9 ?

- Do I have to work on my open firmware ?

-any other suggestions ?

regards,