Can't share "/mnt/volume"

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:42:49 -0700

> Ned Dupont wrote:
> > Here is the output from the "dmesg" command...
> > I don't know what most of it means, but maybe you can see something
> > pertinent.
> > hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> > hda: timeout waiting for DMA
>
> Unrelated... This is a tell-tale sign that your hard drive is going
> bad. You might want to replace it before it fails completely.

You may also want to try tweaking the drive with hdparm. You might want to
turn off DMA on it for a spell and see if it at least works albeit slowly.
See the hdparm man page. You can also do some drive testing with it to see
how it is performing. Maybe you've got a bad drive.

I'm no disk expert so you might want to get a second opinion.