OSX help

Grant yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:04:15 -0400

> But apparantly, the OSX CD still didn't like that (kernel panic again).
I still don=B9t get this, since it should be booting entirely from the CD....=
.
This may be unrelated to the disk or partitioning.  Do you have any oddball
hardware?  Did you consider bad RAM?  Anything odd attached to the 1394 or
USB jacks?
>=20
> I'm totally unfamiliar with Mac paritioning schematics. Is there a basic =
disk
> configuration I should try to set up? What paritition types should I crea=
te
> and how many? How does Apple traditionally partition these disks when the=
> ship them out with OSX?
They generally come with one large volume.  However, the apple formatting
utility (drive setup in OS9; disk utility in OSX) does create a few smaller
Boot partitions (I don=B9t recall the specifics).  But never mind, those
partitions are transparent to you.  Just wipe it into one big volume.  Its
also Ok to have several volumes - e.g.: X, 9/classic, etc.  Classic need no=
be on the same volume as X.
>=20
> Like an idiot, I didn't write any important information down (like the
> partition table) before I started to slash and burn with the Yellowdog CD=
.

Grant