install of yellow 3.0

christopher marcoe yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:59:26 -0400

Hi John,

>Message: 1
>Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:22:13 +0200
>Subject: install of yellow 3.0
>From: John <john.nelsson@telia.com>
>To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>
>im about to install it on a powermac 7500 with a 604E cpu and i wonder
>how much diskspace does it demand the biggest disk that i have is a 2
>gig scsi and the others are 1 gig
>
>John Nelson

I was in the same boat just earlier this year, now I've got YDL 3.0 on a PM7300 & PM4400.

In each case I had only a 2 gig internal drive to work from.  I used an external drive for the MacOS.

If you are NOT planning to dual boot (use the MacOS for anything except booting into Linux w/ BootX) then you can get away with a tiny MacOS partition on the 1 gig drive (like 100mb, just to leave some room to breathe) and let the installer auto-partition both your other drives.

I'm just a linux newbie myself but I found that having less than 2 gig's of space to be very difficult to get a fully funtional machine the first few installs.

Let ms know if you get any X-Windows video problems w/ the built in video...I had to tweek mine a LOT!  I suggest you not try more than 16 bit color at 800x600, at least at start.

-CabbitBoy