Where'd My Linux Go? (longish)

William Klee yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:53:46 -0500

--Apple-Mail-2-685931463
	delsp=yes;
	charset=US-ASCII;
	format=flowed

I bought a copy of YDL 3.0 on eBay last month, and got just the CD's.
Of course, for $5, I'm not complaining. I fiddled with it for the
better half of a week before I found the "how to install" guide
on-line, and it worked fine, up until I tried to use MOL, whereupon the
system hosed itself so badly I had to repartition and reinstall.
However, that's a different topic.

My current problem is this: I just re-installed YDL for the 3rd time
(roached the drive again messing w/MOL) and I can't find my Linux.

OK, the first two times, after installation, I'd see the yaboot menu on
startup, I'd pick "l" or "x" depending on what I was doing, and
everything was fine. Now, however, no yaboot. The PB automatically
boots into either OS9 or OSX, depending on what's set in Startup Disk.
I looked at the "what to do if you've lost yaboot" page
(http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/
boot_functions.shtml) and followed the instructions there, to no great
joy.

Tech specs:
500 MHz Pismo PowerBook
1 GB RAM
30 GM HD
	2 GB partition for OS9 (NineLand)
	10 GB partition for OSX (XoomXoom)
	balance for YDL (unallocated, as per the install guide)

My partition layout is thus:
hda9	Apple Bootstrap
hda10	NineLand
hda11	XoomXoom
hda12	swap
hda13	linux partition

There are 4 different solutions shown:
if the boot partition is *ahead* of the OS partition(s)
1: zap the PRAM

if the boot partition is *after* the OS partition(s)
1: re-run ybin
2: reset the firmware
3: Use Option to select boot partition at startup

Thus, if I'm reading the instructions correctly, my boot partition is
before either the OS9 or OSX partitions, and the indicated correction
is to zap the PRAM. Did so, no joy.

Just for giggles, I also tried the instructions given for when the boot
partition is *after* the OS partition(s).

The "re-run ybin" procedure says to boot from the cd, then at the boot
run this command:

cd-linux root=/dev/<linux root partition> [ENTER]

in my case, the root partition is hda13, so I enter

cd-linux root=/dev/hda13, and get this response:

please wait, loading kernel...
cd-linux:2,/vmlinux: Unable to open file, Invalid device

Just for the hell of it, I also tried it w/hda9 (the bootstrap
partition), no difference.

So, that procedure doesn't provide any joy either.

Oddly enough, while I get the same failure if I enter
'root=/dev/hda13', if I enter 'linux root=/dev/hda13' it boots fine.
The next time I start up, though, it's back to OS9. Obvious temporary
solution: don't shutdown. However, this is the powerbook I take to
school w/me to take notes on, and I'm uncertain about it's ability to
sleep when closed. Seems spotty at times.

The third procedure is to reset the firmware. Reboot the computer &
hold down cmd + opt + f + o. At the prompt, enter:

printenv		which produces a list of various settings; the one I'm
interested in showed up as:
boot-device	hd:,\\tbxi	hd:,\\:tbxi	(this is apparently the default
value after zapping the PRAM)
BTW, there are two columns of entries and the 'setenv' command only
seems to affect the left-hand value.

the next command given is:

setenv boot-device hd:x,\\:tbxi (where 'hd' is an IDE drive and 'x' is
the partition number where yaboot is located.)

This is where I start to get confused. Is it 'hd' or 'hda'? Is 'x'
supposed to be 9 or hda9? Since I have the time, I decided to
methodical and try all four possible combinations of hd/hda and 9/hda9,
with the following results: (the ">" lines are the results I got when I
entered "boot" as directed)

Then it says to enter printenv again, to make sure it took. It did,
every time.

Then enter 'boot' and it *should* reboot and show the yaboot menu.
Failed every time, so I entered 'shut-down' and restarted after
shutdown. Rebooted into OS9 every time.

setenv boot-device hd:9,\\:tbxi
 > boot can't OPEN: hd:9,\\:tbxi
boots into OS9

setenv boot-device hd:hda9,\\:tbxi
 >boot DISK-LABEL: invalid partition # can't OPEN: hd:hda9,\\:tbxi
boots into OS9

setenv boot-device hda:9,\\:tbxi
 >boot can't OPEN: hda:9,\\:tbxi
boots into OS9

setenv boot-device hda:hda9,\\:tbxi
 >boot can't OPEN: hda:hda9,\\:tbxi
boots into OS9

The final solution shown is to boot the computer & hold down the Option
key. No joy here, as all I get is the choice of OS9, OSX or the install
CD, if it's in the drive.

If I boot off the CD, then hit TAB at the boot prompt, I have the
choice of install, install-save and linux. In theory, if I enter
"linux" it should boot from the installed Linux, but it doesn't -- it
gets a kernel panic and reboots after 180 seconds. However, like I
mentioned above, if I enter "linux root=/dev/hda13" it boots and runs
fine. Looks to me like it doesn't know where the correct root partition
is unless I tell it. So, actually, I've got two problems: bootloader
not loading and root device not set.

Suggestions? Advice? If I can't get this worked out by, say, the end of
next weekend, I'll probably scrub the whole thing and install nothing
but YDL. Of course, then I'll have to deal w/my piece of **** CD which
wants to *eject* every time I boot w/the "C" key held down...
--Apple-Mail-2-685931463

> [...]

the partition number where yaboot is located.)

This is where I start to get confused. Is it 'hd' or 'hda'? Is 'x'
supposed to be 9 or hda9? Since I have the time, I decided to
methodical and try all four possible combinations of hd/hda and
9/hda9, with the following results: (the ">" lines are the results I
got when I entered "boot" as directed)

Then it says to enter printenv again, to make sure it took. It did,
every time.

Then enter 'boot' and it *should* reboot and show the yaboot menu.
Failed every time, so I entered 'shut-down' and restarted after
shutdown. Rebooted into OS9 every time.

setenv boot-device hd:9,\\:tbxi

> boot can't OPEN: hd:9,\\:tbxi

boots into OS9

setenv boot-device hd:hda9,\\:tbxi

>boot DISK-LABEL: invalid partition # can't OPEN: hd:hda9,\\:tbxi

boots into OS9