slow when network activated

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:55:49 -0700

> I've had the same problem with my PowerBook.
> Everything takes longer to launch when the network
> interfaces are up (although they usually respond
> pretty well once the apps are up).  When they're down,
> everything moves along just fine.  Haven't found a
> solution yet.

I've seen this on other occasions and it's usually been related to name
lookups. I've circumvented it by adding known hosts into my /etc/hosts
table. That speeds up local machines. I haven't noticed any other latencies,
though, related to interfaces being either up or down. But then again, my PB
ain't speedy at ANY time....

Bill